Wednesday

How Workplace Bullying Created an Advocate.

One of the many colleagues I had spoken to on the lead up to the implementation of the Fair Work Act on today, January 1, 2014 has sent me this short article on her experiences with workplace bullying:

"As someone who started an international corporate training company from scratch, with a desire to improve leadership, customer service and productivity in the workplace I have been asked numerous times what I think of the new anti-bullying legislation to come into effect in 2014. 

As far as bullying is concerned, I  got through school relatively unscathed. Bullying was a part of life back then, and certainly some kids copped it more than others so I consider myself one of the lucky ones. That unfortunately changed when I commenced a corporate career. 

I am still surprised at the tactics used by both my colleagues and superiors to get themselves ahead at the cost of others. My worst experience with a bully was someone who abused their power as a manager and subtly set out to undermine my work and confidence; even making me feel guilty for the way I looked.  

It was malicious, personal and done so effectively that no one else guessed what was going on. So much so, that when I expressed my frustration and anger to others, they thought I was overreacting or even worse imagining it. Eventually I withdrew from others and resigned my position.  This experience has certainly stayed with me, in some ways has made me stronger and in others much more empathetic of others. 

Overall, it has fuelled my desire to improve workplaces and empower staff with the skills and knowledge to lead more effectively, communicate successfully and generate lasting and beneficial relationships with colleagues and customers.  

People are at the heart of business; people who have feelings, needs and goals. The better we can work together, communicate effectively and understand others, the more successful the business will be – it’s that simple. 

The benefit of the new anti-bullying legislation is that it sends a clear message to the workplace that bullying is not acceptable, will hopefully encourage people to first consider their behavior and the impact it may have on others and be more accountable to their actions.  

I truly believe most people don’t set out with the intention to harm others in the workplace, it just stems from their own insecurities or life experiences. 

That’s why staff training is so powerful, it is an opportunity to set clear guidelines, brainstorm issues and solutions for effective results!" 

Thanks for visiting us here. What would your life be like with some clarity?  Call me on (+61) 439 979 577 or  email me, Mike Kennedy... to find out if this would work well for you.

No comments: