Wednesday

Chutzpah!

I've always admired my Jewish friends for their ability to jump into discussions and slog it out. - They split hairs, make distinctions and generally argue it out.

When I have challenged them on why they have to challenge everything -they tell me it's just part of their culture - "We have been taught to argue it out with God!" they say....

And one of their concepts that I really admire is the concept of "Chutzpah".

It is interesting, because they edify and admire this quality in their country. Whereas, where I come from, in my anglo saxon culture, this quality is misunderstood, discouraged and mistrusted.

I thought you might find it useful to hear a couple of definitions of this quality and way of being...... and perhaps would enjoy seeing a video from the Holy Land, with locals cheerfully trying to define something they eat, drink and breathe.

This quality has set me free. (much the same as Italian Culture with their culture of challenging dialogue) I hope it does something like that for you!

–noun Slang.
1.
unmitigated effrontery or impudence; gall.
2.
audacity; nerve.
n. Utter nerve; effrontery: "has the chutzpah to claim a lock on God and morality" (New York Times).//-->[Yiddish khutspe, from Mishnaic Hebrew ḥuṣpâ, from ḥāṣap, to be insolent; see ḥṣp in Semitic roots.]

Yiddish term for courage bordering on arrogance, roughly equivalent to “nerve” (in the slang sense): “It took a lot of chutzpah to make such a controversial statement.”

Attempts to Define "Chutzpah", with Examples & Interviews, Israel from Intrepid Berkeley Explorer on Vimeo.


Email Mike...

No comments: